Cinderford United 22 Richmond Saxons 32

A game of fluctuating fortunes where the United faced a Richmond side containing several fringe players from the Championship side, including former Cinderford player Will Goodrick-Clark.  The game started with total domination by Richmond who, on 5 minutes, forced their way over the line after two attempts had been ruled ‘held-up’. The conversion was missed. Cinderford started to come back into the game but a missed penalty from almost in front of the posts did not help their cause, or so it seemed. They started to put on their own pressure and after some good forward driving and some neat handling scrum-half Olly Venni went over in the corner for the first try which was superbly converted by Alex Frame from the touch line.

Sadly the ball was allowed to go into touch from the restart and after a messy line out Richmond lock Scott picked up the loose ball and drifted through a huge gap to run in a simple try from 20 metres. The conversion attempt bounced back off the upright. Richmond went further ahead with a rolling drive following a penalty kick to the 5m line and the conversion attempt again bounced back off the upright. HT 7-15

Soon after half-time Richmond capitalised on some Cinderford mishandling allowing winger Maynard to stretch the lead. The conversion was again missed. This time it was Cinderford’s turn to gain from the restart. A long kick down field was allowed to bounce and replacement winger Ryan Kibble followed up with such pace that he recovered the ball which was then fed out through the backs for centre Mike Rugeley to go over. O’Connell converted and he followed this with a well struck penalty. Rugeley was injured in a collision and Alex Frame came back on and soon scored probably the best of Cinderford’s tries to make it 22-20, whilst Richmond were down to 14 men following a yellow card for winger Bluck.

Then the referee, who had had a good game overall, missed a knock-on and Richmond went on to score another try through centre Platt. This time the conversion was successful.  Richmond finished as they started and after another period of intense pressure drove over for their final try but for the third time the conversion attempt bounced back off the upright!

Exmouth 2nd XV 5 Cinderford Stags 19

The Stags picked up an excellent victory at Exmouth in a SW Pilot League match.
Lewis Chard, Nathan Green and Danny Parry scored their tries, with Jake Lines kicking two conversions.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *