In form Cinderford won their fourth game in a row and avenged an early season defeat as they beat Taunton Titans in a cracking National League Two South encounter.

James Moffat put the visitors ahead with an early penalty, but for the majority of the first-half it was the home side who were on top, with only some superb tackling keeping the Cinderford line intact.  Matt Lane and then Jack Shields were both shown yellow cards for obstruction and eventually Taunton breached their opponents defence when centre Nick Mason crossed for an unconverted try.  Cinderford quickly restored their advantage however when Reuben Norville scored a well taken try to give the visitors an 8-5 lead at the interval.

Shields was soon back in the action after the re-start when he finished off a strong passage of play from his forwards, with a try that Moffat converted.  Back came Taunton though with a well executed try from Freddie Fraser, which went unconverted.  The match continued to be played at a very high intensity between two totally committed sides, but it was Cinderford who were building some momentum and they recycled the ball through numerous phases before winger Sam Goatley went over for a try in the corner.  Titans replacement Sam Prior was then shown a yellow card, but Moffat’s long range penalty just fell short.

The game was still in the balance going into the final ten minutes and it took a moment of individual skill from Cinderford outside-half Liam Hemming to swing it decisively in his side’s favour when he created an opening and accelerated clear through to score the bonus point try, which Moffat converted.  There was still time for the home side to score again through prop Elliot Roofe, with Kingdom’s conversion giving them a losing bonus point, but it was Cinderford who were able to celebrate an excellent result.

Cinderford; James Moffat, Sam Goatley, Reuben Norville, Rob Winchle, Harry Robinson, Liam Hemming, Jimmy Williams, George Porter (Capt.), Joe Mullis, James Tideswell, Dale Lemon, Ed King, Jack Shields, Will Keenan, Matt Lane.

Replacements; Joe Smart, Jack Williams, Aaron Ryan, Danny Pointon, Harrison Yorke.

2 responses to “Taunton Titans 20-27 Cinderford”

  1. DAVE says:

    Well done lads…great win at Taunton!
    Great result for The Stags too winning 18 – 7 against Drybrook United.

    Here is the report from The Somerset Gazette –

    National 2 South
    Taunton Titans 20, Cinderford 27
    TAUNTON Titans saw their seven-match unbeaten run come to an end after falling to a defeat at the hands of an impressive Cinderford side at a chilly Hyde Park, writes Paul Martin.
    The visitors came into the match in good form themselves and began the game on the front foot, opening the scoring after just three minutes when full-back James Moffat slotted a penalty.
    The next 20 minutes were played almost exclusively in the visitors’ half but, despite winning some good ball against the head in the scrum, Titans found themselves frustrated by their opponents’ resolute defending.
    The hosts passed up two opportunities to level the scores in the opening stages, instead kicking to the corner in search of tries – a decision perhaps influenced by the man advantage Titans enjoyed after Matthew Lane was sin-binned for Cinderford.
    The Titans could not make the most of their temporary extra man, but eventually opened their account for the afternoon late in the half.
    An excellent break by Dan Frost – one of several in an impressive first half for the openside – set the hosts on their way, and the ball was then spun out quickly via Elliot Roofe to Nick Mason who crossed for the try, which Gary Kingdom failed to convert.
    Having worked so hard to get back in the game, there was frustration for the hosts as they relinquished their lead almost immediately.
    Cinderford outside centre Reuben Norville was the man who made the most of a rare visiting attack, breaking through two tackles to score in the corner.
    Moffat then dragged the conversion wide, meaning the Titans trailed 8-5 at the interval.
    The home side were slow out of the blocks after the restart and went further behind on 43 minutes when Jack Shields went over from close range, with Moffat adding the extras.
    Sammy Prior then saw a try disallowed as the Titans fought to narrow the deficit, and shortly after a Kingdom penalty sailed over they reduced the arrears yet further in spectacular style.
    A high kick was expertly claimed by captain Mason, who then shipped the ball to Fraser Freddie just shy of the 10m line.
    The inside centre still had a lot to do, but he showed his opposite number a clean pair of heels to bring the score back to 15-13.
    Kingdom missed the conversion, however, and the hosts were soon made to pay for their profligacy when Cinderford stretched their advantage with a quarter of an hour to play.
    Spurred on by their vocal contingent of travelling supporters, the Forest of Dean side put together a flowing attack which ended with winger Sam Goatley going over in the corner, and though Moffatt missed the resulting kick his side had established a 20-13 lead going into the closing stages.
    The Titans’ chances of getting back into the match late on received a blow when Prior was sin-binned, and the visitors promptly put the result beyond doubt when fly-half Liam Hemming sprinted clear for an excellent solo score.
    The hosts did at least claim a losing bonus point when Kingdom converted Roofe’s try in the last minute

  2. Roger Hawkes says:

    What’s this about losing our own ball in the scrum!
    Obviously still needs sorting, but otherwise a great result.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *