James Moffat kicked an injury time penalty to earn Cinderford a thrilling victory over Redingensians Rams in a pulsating encounter that saw eleven tries scored.

The home side secured possession from the kick-off and went through the phases to set up the opportunity for Omar Ellaboudy to open the scoring with an unconverted try.  Cinderford responded well and centre Jack Hayes went over twice in a four minute spell of terrific attacking rugby, with Moffat landing both conversions. Back came the hosts though with similar passage of play that brought tries for Jordan Souter and a second for Ellaboudy, with Tom Humberstone converting once.

The match continued at a breathless pace, with play switching from end to end and Cinderford regained the lead when Reuben Norville went over on the overlap for an unconverted try.  As half-time approached the Rams scored their bonus point try when Steve Bryant raced through a gap in their opponents defence to score under the posts, with Humberstone converting.  There was still time however for Moffat to put over a penalty for Cinderford, to make it 24-22 to the home side at the interval.

Perhaps not surprisingly the second half took a little while to get going, but the Rams extended their lead when replacement prop Andrew Berry scored from a lineout catch and drive, before Tim Brockett responded in identical fashion for the visitors. The match appeared to swing in the Rams favour when Joe Duffelen scored their sixth try, ten minutes from time, with Humberstone’s conversion making it 36-27.

Cinderford knew their unbeaten record was under threat and they came right back into it when Matt Lane forced his way over, with Moffat again converting. Before they showed great composure in the closing stages to go through the phases and win the penalty that allowed Moffat to seal a dramatic victory, with the last kick of the match.

Cinderford; James Moffat, Kai Little, Terence Babarinsa, Jack Hayes, Reuben Norville, Liam Hemming, Jimmy Williams, George Porter (Capt.), Nathan Taylor, James Elliot, George Evans, Dale Lemon, Matt Lane, Lewis Beer, Harry Hone.

Replacements; Joe Smart, Tim Brockett, Jack Shields, Aaron Ryan, Alex Frame.

One response to “Redingensians Rams 36-37 Cinderford”

  1. Dave Bradley says:

    Great win on Sat….thanks guys…what a nail biter!
    Very disappointed at the knob on the balcony who whistled as Mof took the winning penalty shot.

    Great report on their web site –

    Hard fought game results in a narrow one point loss for the Rams Rams v Cinderford 8th October. Result 36 -37 Match Report by Geraint Lewis

    Table toppers Cinderford came to Old Bath Road with high hopes of putting away a Rams team who fell to defeat against Chinnor last week.
    From the start the entire Rams team were determined to show Cinderford that they were not there to be fodder for a team with strong promotion hopes. Recovering their own kick off the Rams pressurised deep into Cinderford territory, their hard work leading to a penalty. Playing with confidence Rams kicked to the corner for a line out and a well worked maul saw them claim the opening points. With the conversion missed the Rams lead 5 – 0 after just five minutes.
    Cinderford worked hard to get back into the game but strong tackling and an organised defence saw them squander two possessions. An injury break as the clock approached 15 minutes gave Cinderford the chance to reorganise and they were able to pressure the home side. The Rams then found themselves too narrow in defence and with good field position Cinderford were able to capitalise on the left for a 5 – 7 lead.
    Inspired by this effort Cinderford looked to take a stranglehold on the game. Rams mistakes only served to add to the challenge for their defence and it wasn’t long before Cinderford increased their total to 14. Rams teams do not fold though and they rose to match the play of the visitors earning a penalty with quick thinking around the ruck to catch a Cinderford player offside.
    Another kick to the corner following this penalty put the Rams back in control of the game and the scoreboard. Jordan Souter crossing first on a cut back that seemed to be taking him into traffic only for the Cinderford defence to open before him. Then a few moments later great passing down the line saw Omar Ellaboudy score in the far right-hand corner.
    The clock hadn’t even reached 30 minutes and there had already been five tries for a 17 – 14 lead to the Rams who continued to dominate. That was until a quick turnover in the centre of the pitch saw a great line break by Cinderford which a hurried Rams defence managed to stop just a couple of metres short. This sudden change in fortunes though was enough and Cinderford went over on the left to bring the score to 17 – 19.
    From the ensuing kick-off the Rams were determined to reassert their previous period of dominance. Their hard work was to pay off as Steve Bryant went on a scything run through the Cinderford defence to score under the posts with a bonus point earning try. As the clock ticked towards halftime Cinderford came back at the Rams and were able to gain good field position. The strong defence was enough to prevent the try but an unfortunate penalty ensured that Cinderford did not go away empty handed. As the player’s headed for the changing rooms the score stood at Rams 24 Cinderford 22.

    The fan can only wonder what coaches say to players at half time in close games like this but for Cinderford their coach seemed to have found the magic words. As the second half began Cinderford played like a fire had been lit underneath them and only a well organised and committed defence from the Rams stopped them from scoring. Great defence though can change the flow of a game as it did on this occasion as Cinderford gave up a penalty for not releasing. Now the Rams were able to get decent possession and they were able to force another Cinderford penalty before kicking down into Rams corner. For Rams players this is the place to be, the closeness and noise of the crowd on the balcony drove them on and great organisation from the forwards saw another maul. It drove towards the line with the outcome inevitable as Andy Berry crossed for a 29 – 22 lead.
    Fearing that the game was slipping away from them Cinderford worked hard to get back into it. Playing with energy they were able to force a penalty before copying the Rams tactic of kicking to the corner for a driving maul from a line out to claim their own bonus point try. The Rams were not to be outdone though and continued to get the better of Cinderford in attack and defence. Then came the try of the game as Cinderford knocked on the ball inside the Rams half. Steve Bryant scooped it up and ran down the left side of the field before an inside switch to Joe Duffelen. The winger then seemed to sidestep the entire Cinderford defence to race under the posts. With 70 minutes now gone in the game many Rams fans would have dared to believe that at 36 – 27 this game was a done deal.
    Sadly, for those same people there was only to be heartbreak in the last 10 minutes. Throwing caution to the wind Cinderford pressurised the Rams defence who started to give up penalties and then a try to leave just a two point gap. Then as the final minute approached, Cinderford earned yet another penalty directly in front of the posts. As the whole ground held its breath there was nothing the Rams players and fans could do but watch as the ball sailed between the uprights. Even before the scoreboard had been updated the referee brought the game to an end. The relief of the Cinderford contingent was evident as they gave out a loud cheer for their 37 points to 36 victory. While a stunned silence was palpable across the Ramily who had just witnessed, what would have been, a hard fought win disappear in the dying seconds of the match. All acknowledged that this was one of the best matches ever seen at Old Bath Road with Rams securing 2 bonus points against a talented Cinderford side.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *