Cinderford vs Birmingham & Solihull Bees

December 17, 2011
Score: 40 - 0

Match Report

After a few disappointing results in recent weeks, and after a below par performance at Bees earlier in the season, Cinderford got their campaign back on track with a game which they controlled from start to finish – against Birmingham side who never looked like scoring points.

Bees kept Cinderford in their own half for the first 10 minutes, but once Cinderford got control of the ball they had the Bees pinned in their own half, and with the pressure building a break by outside half Rory Teague drew his man, and with a miss pass out wide to Nev Codlin, the Bees were left exposed, leaving Codlin the simple task of going over in the corner for the opening try of the match.

It took until the half-hour mark for the next points to be put on board. A 40 yard break by second row Ed King looked like bringing the try, but 5 yards short of the line he was left looking for support and Birmingham turned over the ball. They lost it instantly and prop Yann Thomas was on hand to gather and crash over to make the score 10-0, with Teague adding the extras.

With half time approaching number 8 Dave Mckee made a twenty yard break into the Bees 22, passing the ball out wide to Codlin then back inside to Teague, who then gave a pin point cross field kick to Lloyd Stapleton who touched down unopposed. Teague was again successful with the conversion leaving the half time score Cinderford 19 Bees 0.

10 min into the second half, after running Bees from one side of the pitch to the other, Teague again found himself in space. He looked up and with great vision saw Stapleton on his own on the other side of the pitch, and with his trade mark pin point cross-field kick, he deposited the ball straight into the waiting arms of the winger. Stapleton had the simple task of touching down to score his second try of the afternoon, and more importantly the bonus one. Teague again adding the extras with another excellent long kick from out on the touchline.

Just after the hour Cinderford forwards, not wanting to be out done by their backs, started a rolling maul from deep inside their own half. The ended up being brought down on Bees 5metre line. From the resulting kick to touch they went on the march again, this time Mckee went over the line, with Teague again successful with the conversion to make the score 33-0.

Two minutes later an interception try was scored by replacement centre Rob Winchle who ran in from 40 yards to round off a most pleasing and convincing team performance. Teague converted again to bring the final score to 40-0 to Cinderford.

Star man Rory Teague

Cinderford, Wilcox, Stapleton, James, Scourfield (Winchle 67), Codlin, Teague, Pointon (Draper 67), Thomas (Heard 53), Bozzard (Wilkes 56), Smart, West, King, Foden (Kitson 67), Nicholls, McKee.

Birmingham & Solihull, Sadler,Nanci, Lowden, Evans, Pons, Hawkes(Gale 79) Stajka (Woodrow 44) Tua, McMillian,Darkintas(Herriot 61) Quarrie, Dunne, Farmer(Gregg) Reeves, Earnshaw.

Referee; T Davis
Asst Referee 1: D Maddern
Asst Referee 2: I Pengelly