Cinderford vs Blaydon

November 5, 2011
Score: 58 - 22

Match Report

Cinderford gained a third successive home win with an emphatic team performance, running in nine tries against north-east side Blaydon.

Cinderford’s director of rugby Andy Deacon added “We all knew we had this performance in us and it’s great to see the moves and hard work put in at training finally coming to fruition on the pitch. It’s great for the guys and coaching staff.
Even with Blaydon coming back strong at us at the start of the second half we still believed in ourselves and ran out comfortable winners”

As early as the second minute Cinderford’s driving maul went over the line to be adjudged held up. A 5 metre scrum was awarded to Cinderford and from the scrum the ball was moved wide, with the first try of the afternoon scored by Rory Teague on 3 minutes.

With 7 minutes on the clock came the try of the match. A quickly taken lineout on halfway by Teague found Rob Winchle, who then exchanged passes with Simeon James before breaking into the 22. He offloaded to Tom Bozzard who in turn off loaded to Adam Nicholls who crashed over the line to put Cinderford 10-0 up, Teague adding the extras.

On 16 min Blaydon gave away a penalty for an infringement to the rolling maul, and from the resulting lineout another catch and drive by Cinderford saw Joe Smart peel off the back and go over to put the home side 17- 0 in front.

On 20 min Blaydon’s powerful pack started to gain a foothold in the match, and after several phases of play the ball was moved out wide to Matthew Hall who touched down for their first score, converted by Andrew Baggett.

Blaydon continued their resurgence on 28 minutes as the forwards again went through several phases of pick and go’s, this time it was winger David Clark who went over to bring the score to 17-12.

On 32 minutes Cinderford stopped the rot, with a move straight off the training ground, as the ball was moved across the backs with a missed pass to Will Foden out wide to bring the bonus point try. Cinderford 22 Blaydon 12.

Cinderford then began to dominate possession and after 12 phases the ball was moved across the backs out to winger Rob Winchle who crossed the whitewash. This final score of the half was converted by Teague to leave the half time score Cinderford 29 Blaydon 12.

Blaydon started the stronger in the second half scoring a couple of tries, Ben Morris getting the first followed by Chris Wearmouth, securing them a bonus point. Teague slotted over a penalty in between.

With 15 minutes remaining Cinderford only led by 10 and Blaydon still felt they had a chance, but Cinderford then sprang into action. With their forwards getting well on top Adam Nicholls off loaded out of the tackle to centre Simeon James who crashed over, Teague converting to stretch the lead to 39-22.

As Blaydon began to tire a ball taken against the head set up Teague for his 2nd try of the match on 69 minutes. Two minutes later it was the turn of full back Mike Wilcox to get in on the action, as he went over under the posts, converted by Teague.

On 75 minutes James scored his 2nd try of the game, converted by Teague, to bring his personal points tally for the afternoon to 23 points. This proved to be the final score of the game Cinderford wining 58-22.

Star man Ben Draper.

Wilcox, Codlin(Stapleton 14) James, Scourfield, Winchle(Done 72) Teague, Draper, Smart, Bozzard(Fortey 72) Heard(Bundy 47) West, King, Nicholls, Foden, Evans(McNeil 63)

Painter(Jeffery 41) Clark, Incledon, Baggett, Wilson, Rowark, Mellish, Quinn-Mclaughlin(R Morris 49) Hall(Slatter 72) Ward, Wearmouth, Jones, B Morris, Bell(Watchorn 66) Smithson(Vinnicombe 8)

Referee: T Davis
Asst Referee 1: J Minnard
Asst Referee 2: F Spong