Sedgley Park vs Cinderford

October 29, 2011
Score: 21 - 17

Match Report

Cinderford players and coaching staff were left wondering what they have to do to get a win in this extremely unpredictable league. After yet again dominating the majority of the match in terms of possession and at the breakdowns, the Sedgley Park side had little or no answer against the Cinderford’s powerful pack, however for the sixth time this season they could only come away with a loosing bonus point.

Mathew Riley opened the scoring with a well-stuck penalty after 5 minutes. Cinderford then began to get on top they had the hosts pinned inside their own 22 for the next quarter of an hour with phase after phase of pick and goes, turning down twice the easy opportunity to take three points instead opting to kick for touch such was their dominance in the line-outs. This paid off after 16 mins when No 8 George Evans pealed off the back of a rolling maul to touch down, Rory Teague added the extras.

Riley then added a penalty on 20 mins to bring them back to within 1 point.

With half time approaching Cinderford had a line-out 10 metres out, another powerful catch and drive was brought down illegally just short of the home sides line they then had several more pick and goes which eventually saw hooker Tom Bozzard come up with ball for Cinderfords second try of the afternoon. Teague converted to send them 14 points to 6 up.

From somewhere the match official managed to find an extra six minutes of injury time much to the surprise of the watching crowd, this allowing Riley the chance to score his third penalty of the half, to bring the half time score Sedgley Park 9 Cinderford 14.

At the start of the second half Parks centre caught the ball deep inside his 22 kicked to half way the ball was allowed to bounce it took a wicked one which went straight into the hands of winger Mike Dutton who ran in unopposed under the posts converted by Riley to put them in front 16-14.

Teague replied with a penalty on 44 mins to the Foresters back ahead 16-17.

Just before the hour mark Sedgley found confidence to move the ball through the hands of their dangerous looking backs but it was second-row Louis McGowan who hit the line at pace crashed through several tackles to touch down out wide, conversion was missed Park were back in front 21-17.

Cinderford pressurised the home team’s line for the final 20 mins but could not find a way through, with some favourable decisions going their way and stout defence saw Sedgley hold out for a very fortunate win.


Cinderford: Wilcox, Codlin, Done (James 65) Scourfield (Winchle 72) Stapleton, Teague, Draper, Smart, Bozzard (Jones65), Thomas, West, King, Nicholls, McNeil (Foden 58), Evans.
Replacements not used: Fortey

Sedgley Park: Wainwright, Dutton, Owens, Riley, Harrison, Parrott C, Parrott S, Birchall, Oxley(Wright 65) Flynn, Hopa(Livesey 66) McGowan, Lewis, Dew, Crous.

Referee: Wayne Fella.
Asst Referee 1: Geraint Davies.
Asst Referee 2: Steven Halliday.