Cinderford vs Stourbridge

October 22, 2011
Score: 32 - 30

Match Report

This bottom of the table clash served up an entertaining game of running rugby,
with the lead changing hands several times throughout the game. In the end it was Cinderford finally coming out on top with a five-try haul, with winger Nev Codlin scoring the winning try with the final play of the game.

After 2 minutes Cinderford moved the ball through several pairs of hands, out wide to winger Nev Codlin, who in turn found full back Mike Wilcox in support. Wilcox went over in the corner for the opening try of the game, but Teague missed the tricky conversion.

On 5 minutes Stourbridge replied with a penalty from ex-Cinderford full back Mark Woodrow, who was successful again on 11 minutes to put the visitors ahead 5-6.

On 23 minutes Cinderford re- took the lead with a try by centre Kai Done, the conversion was missed by Teague, but 5 minutes later Stourbridge came back again with a try by Samuel Robinson. Woodrow converted the kick to give Stourbridge the lead 13-10.

With half time approaching Cinderford were awarded a penalty in front of the posts which Teague gratefully accepted, to make the half time score 13-13.

On 48 mins Stourbridge pressure led to a try by Liam Wordley, converted again by Woodrow to put Stourbridge 20-13 ahead. Straight from the kick off back came Cinderford, with a well worked catch and drive seeing hooker Tom Bozzard go over. Teague was successful with the wide conversion to bring the game back level 20 points all.

Stourbridge began to on top for the next 10 minutes, and their pressure saw them score a try by Gary Dipple. This was again converted by Woodrow, who then followed up with a penalty to put Stourbridge 10 points up at 30-20. It seemed as through Woodrow had come back to haunt the home team with his deadly kicking, as only 10 minutes remained, but the introduction of Will Foden inspired the Foresters, with tough running and much needed drive.

Cinderford were now moving the ball rapidly through their backs and on 71 minutes winger Codlin sprinted clear to score out wide, and Rory Teague followed up with an excellent conversion.

This galvanised Cinderford, who started to believe in themselves, putting the visitors under intense pressure with wave after wave of attacks. This finally paid of with time up on the clock, and the hearts in the mouths of the home faithful. Man of the match Codlin ran straight at full back Woodrow, and his pace and strength were enough to force himself over the line for the winning score. Teague missed the conversion but the time was up and Cinderford had run out 32-30 winners.

Cinderford director of rugby Andy Deacon added: “This victory is exactly what the lads needed, no less than they deserved having been so close to victory in most of our matches this season. We can now push on and start to climb this league”.

Star man: Nev Codlin, Cinderford

Cinderford: Wilcox, Codlin, Done, Winchle (James 62), Stapleton, Teague,
Draper, Thomas, Bozzard, Bundy (Heard 41), West, King, Nicholls (Foden 66), McNeil, Evans
Replacements not used; Scourfield, Fortey

Stourbridge: Woodrow, Bressington N, Dipple, Barkely, Baker, Robinson, Richardson, Sturdy, Wordley (Page 65), Lawrence (Hill 72), Hughes, Hurrell, Rodley, Rovira, Thomas

Replacements not used: White, Reekes, Jenner

Referee: A. Taylorson; Asst Ref 1 C. Daniels; Asst Ref 2 I. Pengelly