Wharfedale vs Cinderford

October 15, 2011
Score: 33 - 25

Match Report

Cinderford were back to their attacking best for the majority of this game, and all the hard work put in during training last week was looking to pay off. However a 10 minute spell in the second half led to the home side scoring 17 unanswered points – and this was ultimately Cinderfords’ undoing in an open and entertaining game of rugby.

From the kick-off Cinderford forwards turned over the ball and ran through numerous phases. This was rewarded on 4 minutes with a penalty, which was slotted over by Danny Trigg.

On 8 minutes Nev Codlin gathered a penalty kick which failed to find touch, and set off from deep inside his own 22, handing off several tackles before offloading to Danny Trigg. Trigg’s pass in turn found Rob Winchle who sliced through the home defence to touch down. The try was converted by Trigg to give Cinderford an early 0-10 lead.

Wharfedale’s outside half Thomas Barrett scored two penalties, with Danny Trigg landing one for the visitors, bring the home side back to within seven points on the half hour mark at 6-13. With half-time fast approaching Barrett coolly slotted over a drop goal from 30 metres to bring the score to Wharfedale 9 Cinderford 13 at half time.

4 minutes into the second half saw Wharfedale’s flanker Daniel Solomi break off the back of the scrum to score a great solo effort try, converted by Barrett. This gave the home side the lead for the first time in the match at 16-13, but on 49 minutes a sniping run by Cinderford outside half Mike Wilcox cut through the home sides defence. He offloaded from the back of his hand to supporting runner George Evans who went over underneath the posts, converted by Trigg. This put Cinderford back in front 20 points to 16.

Just after the hour mark Wharfedale turned the game on its head, scoring 17 points inside 10 minutes. Tries by Philip Woodhead and Joe Quinn converted by Barrett, along with a penalty, put them into an unassailable lead 33-20. With full-time fast approaching Cinderford winger Nev Codlin went over out wide for what proved to be a consolation try. The conversion was missed.

Cinderford: Trigg, Codlin (Draper 78) Winchle, Scourfield (James 64), Stapleton, Wilcox, Carter, Smart (Heard 40), Bozzard, Bundy, King (Allen 58), Mckee, Nicholls, Foden, Evans.

Wharfedale: Hart, Jordan, Gill, Hodgson, Horsfall, Barrett, Gough (Woodhead 52)
Mcgee (Dickinson 51), Graham, Tampin (Sowrey), Rhodes, Quinn, Myers (Brown 67), Solomi, Baldwin.

Referee: Shane Lewis
Assistant Referee: Rob Sawyer
Assistant Referee: Mike Firby