There was no New Year’s cheer for Cinderford as they remained in the National One relegation zone, with Darlington Mowden Park emerging well deserved winners.

The home side struggled to get out of their own half in the opening quarter and it came as no surprise when the visitors opened the scoring following a lineout catch and drive from his forwards, scrum-half Adam Nixon dived over to score a try which Grant Connon converted.

Cinderford briefly threatened their opponents try line and outside-half Mark Davies was on target with a penalty in the 28th minute.
Back came Mowden Park though, and as half-time approached a long spell of pressure eventually led to full-back Henry Robinson breaking through for a well taken try, with Connon again converting.

The second-half developed into a battle of attrition between the forwards, with the visitors always appearing to have the edge. Connon landed a penalty after 53 minutes, and that proved to be the half’s only score as the visitors comfortably dealt with Cinderford’s best efforts.

MOTM – Henry Robinson, DMP

Cinderford : Mike Wilcox, Nev Codlin, Sam Hanks, Jack Adams, Sam Baker, Mark Davies (Stef Hawley 46), Alex Frame (Clive Stuart-Smith 50), Chris Bundy, Luke Cole (Sam Wilkes 69), Elliot Booley (Jake Caulfield 56), Roger Birkin, Milo Reynolds, Dan Fry (Ed King 56), Marcus Brown, Mike Uren


3 responses to “Cinderford 3-17 Darlington MP”

  1. Mike says:

    were just not good enough unless we rethink how to get out of this mess it seems going down is looking likley.

  2. jono says:

    I dont like to say it but we are just not good enought for this leauge,13 games left to turn it around if we want this leauge rugby next year some experienced heads are needed now ! ! !

  3. Dave says:

    Yep…a very disappointing performance and result.

    On a positive note it was great to see that the United won against Henley Bulls…here is the report from their website…


    by Andrew Owen Jones

    Clinical kicking gives Cinderford victory over 5 try Bulls

    On any normal day, outscoring your opponents more than 2 tries to one would result in a comfortable victory but Cinderford United snatched a victory over the in-form Bulls by simply taking every points scoring opportunity presented to them in clinical fashion.
    Encouraged by the return to action of Tommy Haynes, Ed Yarnton and Jake Elias the Bulls were looking to improve on the 27-8 score-line they suffered against Cinderford at Dry Leas in September. Tom Steindler, Tim Coghlan and Jake O’Leary had all earned well-deserved call-ups to the Hawks this week. Tom Garnder led the Bulls as skipper for the first time.
    The rain remained at bay in the Forest of Dean but the soft underfoot conditions gave the heavier Cinderford pack an advantage at scrum time throughout the game. Tommy Haynes made the best of possession from No8 to launch several early attacks with Shek Sheriff and Harry Jackson testing the tight defence with well-timed runs. Within 7 minutes of the start it was Jackson who bustled his way over from a driving maul to open the Bulls tally of 5 tries. All 5 tries for the Bulls went unconverted which allowed United to keep a foothold in the game as their fly-half proved 100% accurate throughout.
    A penalty for United soon followed and then a loose ball from a Bulls attack fell kindly to their talented inside centre who gathered and slipped through the Bulls onrushing lines putting Cinderford 10-5 up.
    The Bulls returned to the more structured rugby with Haynes and Theo Vukasinovic orchestrating some slick play thanks to the accuracy and impressive work-rate of hooker Ian Brown from their dominant line-out. Ed Yarnton, returning from injury at fly-half took some heavy hits but weathered the storm enough to lace passes through to Captain Tom Gardner to break left and then switch right feeding Si Perry on full-back Joe Southwell who occupied the last defender and deftly put Connor Corrigan into the corner for the Bulls second try and even the scores at 10-10.
    Jimmy and Rob Wright along with Liam Trinder harried and hustled all afternoon and their speed in defence along with some well-timed spot-tackiling from Si Perry prevented United’s more organised attacks and forced several decisive errors which scrum half Mark Bruce used to his advantage. As the Bulls turned possession over Bruce looked left and right for a counter attack option but quickly opted to take the shortest route to the line from 25 metres and managed to slide in unaided to restore a 10-15 lead.
    At this point the Bulls lost the advantage of a dominant line-out with both Sheriff and Vukasinovic leaving the field for treatment. Sheriff was patched up and returned to the field after a 15 minute break but Vukasinovic’s ariel threat was denied them thereafter making the set –piece a much more difficult source of quality possession. Sam Beckett, Brown and Jackson now under enormous pressure at the scrum adapted superbly as Captain Gardner wisely plumped to loosen the game up and use a 15 man approach to keep the ball alive and avoid set-piece. As the Bulls adapted to this approach however, Cinderford had repeated their opening 10 point salvo with a penalty and converted try from a grubber kick through to restore a 20-15 lead with half-time falling in between.
    The Bulls were very quick to respond recreating their own first half try from Corrigan who again slid over for his second to even up the scores at 20-20.
    Cinderford cleverly reverted to a tighter game using their centres to tie up the Bulls defence and forcing scrummages where their known advantage could be driven home. They forced 2 penalties in this fashion as the much lighter Bulls 8 stood up under the pressure. With a 26-20 advantage through the accurate boot of their fly-half, United looked to kill the game off but the Bulls continued to probe with Perry and Gardner feeding wing Matt Dickens who made several blazing bursts up his flank and Joe Southwell making a break which looked likely to be the winning move only to suffer a knee injury as a result of the saving tackle and having to leave the field.
    It was perhaps fitting that Harry Jackson and Rob Wright played a part in allowing Jimmy Wright to score a fifth and final Bulls try as the backs provided the territory the tight forwards provided the close support and handling skills to weave a path for Wright to cross. The angled conversion beat the boot of Jake Elias, who had just taken the field and Cinderford hung on for the victory.
    Bulls: Harry Jackson, Ian Brown, Sam Beckett, Theo Vukasinovic, Shek Sheriff, Rob Wright, Liam Trinder, Tommy Haynes, Mark Bruce, Ed Yarntom, Connor Corrigan, Tom Gardner (c) , Si Perry, Matt Dickens, Joe Southwell. Replacements all used: Jimmy Wright, Jack Broughton, Jake Elias, Patrick George.
    Bulls Tries: Corrigan 2, Bruce, Jackson, Wright J.
    MoM: Harry Jackson

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *