Relegation threatened Barnes produced a gutsy performance against Cinderford and could count themselves a little unfortunate not to take something from this game.

With a strong wind behind them the home side were soon pressing forward and full-back James Moffat opened the scoring with a penalty after 12 minutes of play.  The visitors were intent on running the ball at every opportunity and they posed plenty of problems, but the Cinderford defence held firm and when they eventually moved upfield a strong scrummage enabled No8 George Evans to reach out and score a try, which Moffat converted.

Then in injury time at the end of the first-half the home went through the phases to create an opening for scrum-half Alex Frame to cross for a try, which Moffat converted to make it 17-0 at the interval.

With conditions now in their favour Barnes soon reduced the deficit when Gareth Williams-Davies scored a try, which Tom O’Toole converted.  Cinderford quickly responded with their third try, when turnover ball was moved swiftly out wide and Sam Goatley finished well, with Moffat again on target with the conversion.

Back came Barnes however and centre David Butler burst through for a try, which O’Toole converted.  It was all to play for in the final quarter, but some resolute Cinderford defence ensured their opponents were unable to breach their try-line again and enabled the home side to clinch a hard-earned victory.

Cinderford; James Moffat, Sam Goatley, Reuben Norville, Rob Winchle, Harry Robinson, Liam Hemming, Alex Frame, George Porter (Capt.), Henry Walker, James Tideswell, Dale Lemon, Ed King, Jack Shields, Will Keenan, George Evans.

Replacements; Joe Smart, Marcus Brown, Aaron Ryan, Harry Robinson, Jimmy Williams.

2 responses to “Cinderford 24-14 Barnes”

  1. jono says:

    Hi good result for the first fifteen.
    How did the United and stags get on.
    This club is not a one team club!
    Could we please have Teams and results posted on here or is just a one team club!!!

  2. Roger Hawkes says:

    Surprised Barnes were in the relegation zone as they gave us plenty of problems. I thought that 17 points lead at half time would be take some defending against the strong wind in the 2cd half.
    Our 3rd try proved crucial & gave us the impetus to hold on to our lead.
    Well done lads.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *