With both sides on a good run of form something had to give in this match and it was Cinderford who just edged out Redruth in a fully committed encounter.

When the teams met down in Cornwall back in October the 54-11 trouncing Cinderford took that day was a low point in their season, so this result is a testament to the huge strides forward the team has made since then.  In bitterly cold conditions it was the visitors who made a positive start to the match and a chip ahead was gathered by the impressive Alex Ducker, who put Matt Bowden over for the opening try, which Brett Rule converted.

James Moffat reduced the deficit for Cinderford when he landed a penalty as both sides continued to show plenty of intensity in their play.  With half-time approaching the home side kicked a penalty into the corner to set up an attacking lineout and their catch and drive saw No8 George Evans go over for an unconverted try. Redruth regained the lead before the interval though, when they went through the phases from the re-start and Bowden crossed for his second try, which Rule converted.

The visitors outside-half was off target with a straight-forward looking penalty soon after the re-start and Cinderford went back in front when hooker Henry Walker scored from another catch and drive, with Moffat converting.  The home full-back then landed his second penalty before more concerted pressure from the Cinderford forwards eventually led to flanker Jack Shields scoring what was to prove a decisive try after 55 minutes.

Redruth threw everything at their opponents in the closing stages and replacement Sam Parsons went over for a try, which Rule converted to reduce the gap to two points, but Cinderford closed out the game to clinch a hard earned victory, their seventh in a row.

Cinderford; James Moffat, Sam Goatley, Reuben Norville, Rob Winchle, Harry Robinson, Liam Hemming, Jimmy Williams, George Porter (Capt.), Henry Walker, James Tideswell, Dale Lemon, Ed King, Jack Shields, Will Keenan, George Evans.

Replacements; Jack Williams, Joe Smart, Adam Balding, Aaron Ryan, Alex Frame.

2 responses to “Cinderford 23-21 Redruth”

  1. Dave says:

    Fantastic game of rugby….thank you guys.
    Now for the big one…Chinnor.
    Good luck lads!

  2. Dave says:

    Write up from Redruth……

    Cinderford 23 Redruth 21

    By Alan Nettle

    A high class contest between two good sides as Cinderford just edge the win in the cold Winter air.

    Both sides went into the game with six successive wins and the greater power of the home pack saw them to a narrow win in a tight game that could have gone either way.
    With just one defeat since early November Cinderford are the form side of the league and a totally different proposition to the side the Reds defeated 54-11 back in October however, a knock on just short of the line in the last minute saw Redruth go down to their first defeat of 2017 after a gruelling contest between two good sides.
    It was bitterly cold in the Forest of Dean, the Reds had a six point lead at half time but Cinderford pulled 23-14 clear in the first fifteen minutes of the second half leaving Redruth to chase the game, they made a good fist of it and Cinderford were delighted to hold on to the win.
    The running of Alex Ducker even on a heavy surface was a constant threat to the home side, after four minutes he ran on to a perfect chip from Jack Oulton and ran 70 meters before putting Matt Bowden over in the corner, Brett Rule converting from wide out.
    The strength of the home pack was soon evident, giving Redruth an uncomfortable time in the early scrums and using powerful driving mauls to set up George Evans to Test the reds defence, James Moffatt pulled back a penalty after 13 minutes.
    Redruth lost Skipper Kyle Marriott with a knee injury, fortunately his Cornwall colleague Barrie-Jon Chapman is fit after a spell on Loan at Launceston and was able to make an impact with some strong runs.
    The home side had most of the territory but it was not until 36 minutes when they finally broke a determined Reds defence, Evans going over following a series of driving mauls on the Reds line.
    On the stroke of half time good play from Pale Nonu, Joel Matavesi and Ducker ended with Bowden going over for his second try in the left hand corner, Rule’s conversion from the touchline was high and handsome to send the Reds in leading 8-14.
    Both sides made changes at half time, Cinderford changed their scrum half and the Reds went for the greater experience and bulk of Jess Tompsett and Matt Gidlow in the front row.

    The game’s momentum changed early in the second half, Rule missed with a penalty near the posts and Cinderford went down the other end and took the lead with a catch and drive try for Alex Frame converted by Moffatt from wide out on the right.
    Redruth were conceding four successive penalties, Moffatt put over one from close to the posts to extend the lead and flanker Jack Shields went over in the corner following good play from Liam Hemming as the hosts were in a strong position after 55 minutes.
    The Reds found some momentum prompted by the impressive Oulton and the work rate of the forwards, he opened up a gap for Ducker but the Reds full back stumbled on the sticky surface and was caught.
    With eight minutes to go following a maul Oulton fed Mark Grubb who broke away to give Sam Parsons a clear run to the line, Rule potting his third conversion.
    At the end it was desperately close, Redruth were inched their way to the home line with a series of driving mauls but a knock on stopped them, from a retreating scrum Alex Frame almost fumbled the ball but to the delight of his team mates he got his clearance kick down to half way, Redruth lost the line out and Cinderford were delighted to boot the ball off the pitch to hold on for the win.

    Tries: Evans, Frame, Shields
    Con: Moffatt
    Pen: Moffatt
    Yellow Card: Kenan

    Tries: Bowden 2, Parsons
    Con; Rule 3

    Ref Claire Hodnett (RFU)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *