The top two teams in National One went head to head at Cinderford’s Beavis Memorial ground and it was the visitors Chinnor who edged out their opponents in a tough uncompromising encounter between two well matched teams.

In perfect playing conditions it was Chinnor who opened the scoring when the home side strayed offside and outside-half Caolan Ryan was on target with a penalty.  Cinderford quickly responded when Liam Hemming landed a penalty from in front of the posts to level the scores after just six minutes of play.  The home side continued to put pressure on their opponents and centre Ed Bogue was tackled just short of the try line, but the ball was recycled and a well timed pass from Hemming saw flanker Matt Lane burst through from the 22m line to score a try, which Hemming converted.

Ryan reduced the deficit to 10-6 when he put over his second penalty, before Chinnor took the lead when they moved the ball quickly to the blindside and full-back stepped inside to score a try, which Ryan converted.  Hemming levelled the scores once again soon afterwards when he kicked his second penalty and the score remained unchanged at the interval.

Chinnor regained the lead soon after the re-start when Ryan kicked his third penalty and a spell of pressure near their opponents lead to them being awarded a try from hooker Dan George, which Ryan converted.  Back came the home team when following a yellow card for Chinnor prop Matt Beesley replacement scrum-half Jimmy Williams created space down the blindside to realise winger Sam Smith to score an unconverted try.  

As the game went into the final quarter the defensive qualities of both teams came to the fore and when Cinderford’s Harry Hone was also sin-binned, Ryan landed his fourth penalty to stretch the visitor’s lead once again.  With six minutes remaining Hemming kicked his third penalty to put Cinderford back within striking distance but despite their best efforts they were unable to find a way through a well organised Chinnor defence, and the visitors ran down the clock to claim a hard earned victory.

Cinderford; Stefan Hawley, Sam Smith, Ed Bogue, George Boulton, Reuben Norville, Liam Hemming, Alex Frame, George Porter (Capt.), Nathan Taylor, James Elliott, George Evans, Dale Lemon, Matt Lane, Aaron Ryan, Harry Hone.

Replacements; Joe Smart, Tim Brockett, Ben Chan, Jimmy Williams, Terence Barbarinsa.

2 responses to “Cinderford 21-26 Chinnor”

  1. Roger Hawkes says:

    An exciting game, but I think we lost by giving away too many penalties when we were well placed.
    The pack were excellent & to see them push a large Chinnor pack around in the tight & loose, was amazing.

  2. Simon Tudball says:

    Small margins. Their first try was off a very crooked line out and the ref was undecided on the grounding for their second try even though he was around two yards away but amazingly the touch judge ( who didn’t make any other contribution all afternoon ) could clearly see the ball was grounded from twenty yards away. That said we were slightly off the boil ourselves and didn’t make the most of our obvious advantage in the scrum. Roll on Saturday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *