Cinderford clinched the National 2 (South) title, by scoring three tries in the last twenty minutes to recover from a 19-5 deficit and bring a highly entertaining match to a dramatic conclusion.

In warm and sunny conditions both sides created but were unable to early scoring opportunities before the visitors took the lead, when they kicked a penalty to the corner to set up an attacking lineout and a perfectly executed catch and drive led to hooker Nathan Taylor going over for an unconverted try.  The remainder of the first-half was a tense and rather nervy affair, with the home side deservedly levelling the scores just before the interval through a fine effort from centre Mark Kohler.

The opening stages of the second-half saw the defences of both teams tested, before former Cinderford second-row Will Scholes took an inside pass and raced 30 metres virtually unchallenged to score neat the posts, with Fraser Honey adding the conversion.  Then some great handling released Liam McBride to score Burys’ third try, which again converted by Honey.

The league leaders knew they had to find a response, and they did in passage of play that epitomised the terrific team spirit that they have built up in their squad this season. When possession was secured on the 10m line the ball was taken through a series of pick and goes that eventually led to second-row George Evans forcing his way over for a try, which James Moffat converted.  The momentum of the match was now moving in the visitor’s favour and the scores were soon levelled up again when Moffat created and then converted a try from replacement Terence Barbarinsa, with a deft kick through the home defence.

Cinderford continued to press forward and their comeback was complete when the ball was moved swiftly out wide to flanker Matt Lane who went over for the bonus point try. After this the Foresters were able to retain possession in the dying minutes and kick the ball out to start the celebrations.

Cinderford; Alex Frame, Kai Little, Ed Bogue, Rob Winchle, Reuben Norville, James Moffat, Jimmy Williams, George Porter (Capt.), Nathan Taylor, James Elliot, George Evans, Dale Lemon, Matt Lane, Matt Bennett, Harry Hone.

Replacements; Joe Smart, Tim Brockett, Jack Shields, Terence Babarinsa, Clive Stuart-Smith.

8 responses to “Bury St Edmunds 19-24 Cinderford”

  1. Simon Tudball says:

    Congratulations to Paul, Adam and all involved. Enjoy the party boys. Thoroughly professional for so long this year and well deserved.

  2. jono says:

    Here Here! Well done you Cindy Dogs Hope you enjoy the rest of your evening
    And Good Luck for next Season WELL DONE

  3. Tony Woolf says:

    Well done Cinderford. The FOd are very priud of you.

  4. jono says:

    Also id like to add a well done to Drybook RFC for winning there league!

  5. mike says:

    buried St Edmunds well done Cindy enjoy the trip back and look forward to completing the season next weekend.
    everyone will be proud of you all

  6. Dave says:

    Really hard game…to come back from 19 – 5 down showed real team spirit. Just enjoying the trip home with wine & cheese…classy or what!

  7. Roger Hawkes says:

    What a great win to become champs!
    This season the team have shown that they have improved their defence & co-ordination to a higher level, mainly thanks to Paul Morris, who has done a fantastic job this year.

  8. Steve Worgan says:

    Congratulations from Down Under

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *